It’s Blueberry Season! I happen to love blueberries and am always so excited when the giant containers of blueberries arrive in stores (you know, in comparison to those puny little ones that are there year round??). Seeing all those blueberries reminds me of picking blueberries at the blueberry farm near my summer camp (Hail to Camp Oneka!) from when I was younger. Is there anything better than eating blueberries freshly picked from the bush that are warm from the sun?!? Yeah, I didn’t think so.
Today I am excited to share some yummy recipes with you guys so you can enjoy the blueberry bounty too!
Blueberry Basil Lemonade
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (I mean it, no cheating with the already squeezed kind!)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/4 fresh torn basil leaves
6 TBS sugar
4 cups water
1. Combine lemon juice, blueberries, basil leaves, and sugar in a pitcher.
2. Smash it all together (in more official terms: muddle). I used the bottom of a small mason jar to smash it all together, but use whatever smashing tools you’ve got!
3. Add water to your mixture and let it stand for 1 hour. If you let it stand less time, you’ll taste less of the blueberries and basil.
4. Strain the mixture through a fine strainer to get all the smashed up bits out of your yummy lemonade.
Blueberry Lemon Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 cups blueberries
2 tsp lemon zest
½ cup plain greek yogurt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add in the lemon zest and blueberries. Mix it all together.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add in the eggs.
5. Add the yogurt to the mixture and then mix in the flour mixture. (Consider mixing this by hand to avoid crushing your blueberries.)
6. Put the batter in the pan and bake for about 1 hour.
I could never come up with anything as good as Cook’s Illustrated Blueberry Pie. I’m serious. It’s the best pie and I’m a picky pie eater. There are a couple of secret ingredients that you wouldn’t expect so head on over there and try it out! As you can see from the photo above, it’s approved by kids and adults alike!
Do you have any blueberry favorites to share? I am all ears!!!