Would you consider quitting social media? In this episode, we’re chatting with Cal Newport, Associate Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University and author of Deep Work, about why we should look closer at the role social media and new technology plays in our lives. We discuss when social media may be useful and how to know if using it has become a problem for you. In addition, we also dig into why it’s important to make space for deep work or concentration and how to do that in the age of distraction (via email or IM) in the modern workplace.
- Cal’s point of view on the necessity of social media
- Who social media is actually good for and why social media is so addictive
- Cal’s advice if you use social media for your business
- How to know if social media is a problem for you
- Why you should start with your values and then evaluate what technology or apps to incorporate in your life
- Why focus is the new IQ and a competitive advantage for those in the workplace
- How the “second shift” is driven by the distraction by things like emails and instant messaging
- What you can do to manage email and attention in a work environment
- Why you should be bad at email
- How one individual can make a difference at an organization in making changes to allow deep work
Cal Newport is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Georgetown University. In addition to studying the theoretical foundations of our digital age, Newport also writes about the impact of these technologies on the world of work. His most recent book, Deep Work, argues that focus is the new I.Q. in the modern workplace and that the ability to concentrate without distraction is becoming increasingly valuable. He previously wrote So Good They Can’t Ignore You, a book which debunks the long-held belief that “follow your passion” is good advice, and three popular books of unconventional advice for students.
Take a Small Step
- Notice when you pull out your phone. Is it out of boredom?
- Try Cal’s 30 day challenge to remove all social media apps off your phone.
- Schedule time for deep work during your work day and protect that time.
Tell us about it in the She Reaches Facebook group.
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to automatically get new episodes!