In this episode, we’re talking to Kate Dreyer, a public relations professional with a passion for home decorating and interior styling, and the founder of Kate Decorates. She gives us insight into what prompted her to start her blog and how she finds the time to work on it while having a corporate career. We also talk about how to get started in decorating your home if you feel overwhelmed and how to work with a partner who has different tastes than you. Finally, Kate shares why having a side hustle benefits her corporate job and other areas of her life vs. detracting from them.
- Kate’s career background and the project she does outside of her full time job
- Why Kate started Kate Decorates and the role her husband played in it
- What results starting her blog have had on other areas of her life
- When Kate finds time to work on her blog
- Where you can go to get affordable pieces for your home
- How to begin with decorating your home
- What to do when you and your partner don’t agree on decorating
- Kate’s stance on DIY projects
- How Kate’s “side hustle” benefits her corporate job
Kate Dreyer is a public relations professional with a passion for home decorating and interior styling. Last fall, she founded the blog Kate Decorates where she shares simple, practical design ideas for real life. Kate loves finding ways to create beautiful and functional spaces in the home without breaking the bank, and probably spends far too many evenings soaking up content from Houzz, HGTV, Domino and Pinterest. She has a weakness for iced coffee, expensive candles, anything leopard print, bold colors, and “reading” books on Audible. A native of the Washington, DC area, she lives in Northern Virginia with her husband, daughter and son.
Take a Small Step
- Talk to your network to get feedback on an idea you have before getting started.
- Try out Kate’s tip and create a Pinterest design board for your next project.
- Pick a piece you love and start designing your space around that.
Tell us about it in the She Reaches Facebook group.
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to automatically get new episodes!