Do you have that mean voice in your head that tells you things you would never even say to someone else? We’re talking about your inner critic and we’re pretty certain we all have one. In this episode, we’re talking to Danielle Krysa, writer/curator behind the contemporary art site, The Jealous Curator and author of Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk. We’re chatting about how to identify your inner critic and not let it stop you from doing the things you want to do. Danielle gives us some great and hilarious strategies for getting around the excuses that we make because our inner critic is trying to keep us from doing something. She also gives us some food for thought about why it can be hard to share things we create with those closest to us and what you can do about it.
- Danielle’s background and where her inner critic really began
- Why Danielle started her art site The Jealous Curator
- What led her to write a book about the inner critic
- Why words have power and being careful what you say to your kids
- The excuses we make for not getting started
- Why it can be harder to share with those close to us vs. with strangers
- The proper response to a compliment to not feed your inner critic
- Giving your inner critic a name – literally
Danielle Krysa has a BFA in Fine Arts, and a post-grad in graphic design. She is the writer/curator behind the contemporary art site, The Jealous Curator. Danielle has curated shows from Washington, DC to Los Angeles, San Francisco to Toronto. In 2014 she published two books, both with Chronicle Books, titled “Creative Block” and “Collage”. Her third book, “Your Inner Critic Is A Big Jerk” was released in October 2016. Danielle has also had the great pleasure of speaking at TEDx, PIXAR, Creative Mornings, CreativeLive, Altitude Summit, and was interviewed for several video segments on oprah.com.
All Danielle Krysa’s Links: The Jealous Curator, Facebook , Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest
Danielle’s podcast : Art for Your Ear on itunes
Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk: And Other Truths About Being Creative
Or check it out Danielle’s book on Audible
Take a Small Step
- Read Danielle Krysa’s book Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk: And Other Truths About Being Creative for a little inspiration.
- Give your inner critic a non-threatening name.
- When you hear your inner critic, write it down. Tell someone else or say it out loud in the mirror. Then, write the positive opposite.
Tell us about it in the She Reaches Facebook group.
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to automatically get new episodes!