Can you ever be prepared before having a baby? In this working woman interview episode, we’re talking to Katie Ehly about how she prepared before having a baby, what didn’t go as planned, and what she’d tell new or expecting moms about it. Katie shares what she did that helped provide support for the early days after having her daughter, what she struggled with, and how she felt about it. She also shares the thoughts she had about whether or not to go back to work and her internal struggle for several months after deciding she did want to go back. Finally, she talks about how she feels about it all a year later and why it’s important to go with your gut in parenting. This is an episode you’ll want to share with any new or expecting moms in your life!
- Katie’s background and what she does now
- What Katie thought about before having a baby and how she approached her career
- The things that Katie thought would happen after having a baby that didn’t turn out as planned
- How Katie developed a network of other moms
- Why Katie enjoyed her maternity leave after recovering from the birth
- Rethinking the decision to go back to work and her identity
- The online resources that Katie used during pregnancy and afterwards
- The difference in how Katie feels about work a year later
Katie Ehly works in energy policy in the Washington, DC area. Katie has experienced a range of working environments from corporate to government to trade associations. She holds a Master of Arts from American University in International Relations and a Bachelor of Arts from Vassar College in Political Science. She is a new mom of a precocious 18 month old who, no surprise, runs the show.
Take a Small Step
- If you’re pregnant or a new mom, search for a group like P.A.C.E. for support.
- Give yourself grace and time after having a baby to let things settle.
- Support a new mom in your life by allowing her to feel what she feels at that moment.
Tell us about it in the She Reaches Facebook group.
Don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes to automatically get new episodes!