Around 2 to 3 pm most afternoons I am craving a snack. Snacks can be a potential downfall when you are trying to eat healthy, as one doesn’t always make the best food decisions when you are already hungry. It’s like going to the grocery store when you are starving – you end up over spending because everything looks so good! So, planning ahead and having healthy options around helps set you up for success. Here are some of our favorite healthy snacks.
– Green Juices/Smoothies. While I don’t have a juicer like Tiffany (check out her post about juicing), I do have a blender and will try to blend a green smoothie to have over two or three days. My favorite recipe currently is spinach or kale, pineapple, apple, water and/or soy milk if I have it.
– Cinnamon Pita Chips. I have a weakness for cinnamon and sugar, so this is a great snack for me.
– Trail mix. Trader Joe’s has quite a few great options, or you can make your own. My favorite trail mixes involved multiple types of nuts, and dried fruit. You do have to be careful with this one though as having the entire bag will be unhealthy, so bringing only a cup vs. the entire bag is what I recommend.
– Cinnamon applesauce. I stole this from the girls. It may be something kids like to eat, but so do I!
– Greek yogurt. Either plain with chopped fruit on top or a great flavored one like Chobani Key Lime or Pineapple.
– Apple slices. I’ll tell you a secret…we literally buy apple slices in individual sized packs as a shortcut. Again, it started for the girls, but it’s a healthy snack for moms too!
– Instant oatmeal. This is a new one for me, but I like that it’s warm, sweet, and satisfies my carb craving instead of eating a whole box of crackers!