In today’s episode, we’re chatting with Erin Loechner, author of Chasing Slow and founder of Design for Mankind. Erin shares her journey from living fast to slowing down and all the things in between. We chat about motherhood, the question you need to ask yourself before picking up your phone, and making career choices based on your season of life and values. We also tackle laundry, meal planning, and balancing careers and childcare with your spouse. We could have talked forever with Erin so we’re excited for you to listen in!
- Erin’s blogging background and opportunities she received as a result
- HGTV.com show as a turning point in her career
- Reprioritizing after having her first baby
- Asking yourself one question before picking up your phone – Is this a good time?
- Compartmentalizing your life. When it works and when it doesn’t.
- Subtracting things from your life
- How to handle socks and underwear when doing laundry
- Using a meal planning service to help manage busy times
- What Chasing Slow means to Erin
- Realizing that slow living is not the end result, but is a method to living your life
- Changing the word should to could to make a proactive choice on what to do
- Deciding on work opportunities that may not match with your values and desired lifestyle
- The role of a spouse or partner in making career decisions and balancing care taking of kids
- The intentional design of the Chasing Slow physical book
- Freeing ourselves from being self-critical and chaining ourselves to ideals
BACKGROUND ON ERIN LOECHNER
Author of Chasing Slow and founder of Design for Mankind, Erin Loechner has been blogging and speaking for more than a decade. Her heartfelt writing and design work has been showcased in The New York Times, Lucky, Parenting, Dwell, Marie Claire, Elle Decor, Huffington Post, and a two-season HGTV.com web special, garnering over one million fans worldwide. She has spoken for and appeared in renowned international events for clients such as Walt Disney World, IKEA, Martha Stewart and Home Depot. Now nestled in a Midwestern town, Erin, her husband and two kids strive for less in most areas except three: joy, grace, and goat cheese.
TAKE IT OFFLINE
- Find areas of your life that you need to care more and the areas of your life that you need to care less.
- Read Chasing Slow (just released today!).
- Ask yourself “is now a good time?” before checking your phone for emails or other notifications.
Tell us about it in the comments below!
Don’t forget to leave us a review on iTunes!
LISTEN TO THE SHOW