How often do you step outside of your comfort zone? We all want things that may require us to stretch such as public speaking when we have little experience or speaking up in an important meeting. In this episode, we’re talking to Andy Molinksy, author of the new book Reach, all about when we should step outside our comfort zones and how to do it in a way that is most comfortable to you individually.
- Andy’s background and how he ended up writing the book Reach
- Studying “necessary evils” that people had to handle at their jobs
- Why you may want to reach outside of your comfort zone and when you may not want to
- Focusing on your strengths vs. being outside of your comfort zone
- How we avoid stepping out of our comfort zones
- The question to ask yourself if you want to figure out if you’re avoiding reaching outside your comfort zone
- Why many people struggle with self promotion
- Thinking about stepping outside your comfort zone as a muscle that you build
- Using a “lucky charm” and other strategies when you’re shifting outside your comfort zone
- If there are differences between extroverts and introverts in going beyond their comfort zone
- Why you have power that you didn’t think you have
- What Andy is working on in reaching outside his comfort zone
BACKGROUND ON ANDY MOLINSKY
Andy Molinsky is a Professor of Organizational Behavior at Brandeis University’s International Business School, specializing in behavior change and cross-cultural interaction in business settings. He holds a B.A. in International Relations, magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from Brown University, an M.A. in International Business from Columbia University, an M.A. in Psychology and a Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior from Harvard University. Andy regularly writes for the Harvard Business Review, and his work has been featured in the Economist, Fast Company, Fortune, the Financial Times, The Boston Globe, NPR, and the Voice of America. His first book, Global Dexterity, received the Axiom Award (Silver Medal) for Best Business Book in International Business & Globalization and has been used widely in organizations around the world, including Boeing, AIG, the US Air Force Academy, and the Clinton Foundation, among others. His new book is called Reach: A New Strategy to Help You Step Outside Your Comfort Zone, Rise to the Challenge and Build Confidence.
She Reaches Collective
Global Dexterity book
When to stay in your comfort zone
If You’re Not Outside Your Comfort Zone, You Won’t Learn Anything
Quiet by Susan Cain
TAKE IT OFFLINE
- Purchase Andy’s book Reach.
- Consider one area of your life that may be worth reaching outside of your comfort zone.
- Try one of Andy’s strategies to make the leap like using a lucky charm.
Tell us about it in the comments below!
Don’t forget to leave us a review on iTunes!
LISTEN TO THE SHOW